Saturday, April 26, 2014

Professional Hopes and Goals

Throughout this course I have learned a great deal of information.  While I knew that all of the -ism's existed learning more about them increased my knowledge of diversity.  My hope for working working with children and families from diverse backgrounds is that each person will feel more apart of the group, that they won't be singled out because of their traditions or beliefs and that each professional working with individuals from diverse backgrounds are more aware of microaggressions and are able to identify their own biases. 

One goal that I have for the early childhood field related to diversity, equity and social justice is that people will began to treat individuals more of equals and that they will be able to appreciate the differences that people may have because the diverse world that we live in will continue to be diverse and they should be able to accept it and if they can't accept it they should at least respect it.

Throughout this course I have learned so much from each of you through our blogs and discussions.  This has been a difficult quarter for me because I have been going through a lot of medical issues and thought many times that I should just drop the class cause I didn't feel like I was producing my best work, but I continued to press my way and have made it to week 8.  I appreciate each of you who took the time to read my discussions and blogs and for those who commented on them.  Good Luck in your educational and professional journey.

Latarsha

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your medical issues. I hope that you are well and it's a great accomplishment making it through the course whilst undergoing your personal dealings. I am glad that I have been able to read more of your blog and discussion posts and that we continue to have different courses together. Wishing you all the best. /Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Latarsha-

    You are a very inspiring role model for the rest of us, demonstrating how passion and perseverance can lead to reaching your goals. I wish you continued success in your health and for you to reach your aspiration of helping others to identify their own bias, prejudice and microaggressors. You will be a phenomenal leader for the early childhood profession and I look forward to working with you in future courses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Latarsha,
    It is nice to hear that you were able to continue your course work despite your personal issues. I can totally relate as I have been in and out of the hospital since January including emergency surgery that saved my life. Its amazing how early childhood professionals have the drive to fight through anything including our own personal struggles. I pray that you heal and that you have success in the future.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that a big goal should be that you make people feel a part of the group. I think part of this comes from valuing their opinions and respecting them. I think when people feel like they are a part of a group and accepted for who they are they will open up more and this can be a great experiences for our students and their families.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Latarsha you are inspiring. Often life throws us challenges that push us to our limits, but facing them head on and pushing through is very telling of you as a person. Thank you for all of your insights. I think it is safe to say that this class has been one eye opening experience. Best wishes to you on your journey!

    ReplyDelete