Saturday, April 19, 2014

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The county of origin for the family that I have chosen is Jamaica.  

5 ways in which I will prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family:

·         I would first try to learn about Jamaica and their culture by researching the culture as much as possible.

·         Some Jamaicans speak English and some don’t I would try to learn the basics of the Jamaican language such as good morning, good afternoon, to try to incorporate their native language.

·         I would get background information on the parents from previous educational settings to become more familiar with them so that when I come in contact with them I would know who plays the dominant one in the family; basically learning the family dynamics.

·         Because various countries would be represented in the setting I would make sure that Jamaica was also represented and incorporated as much as possible.

·         I would have a family survey that the family could complete to help in getting to know the family better to prevent assumptions.

     Trying to learn about various cultures is what you make it.  If you go into a situation with biases and assumptions it will only make it harder to get to know the family.  I believe that by learning these things it will help in getting to know the child.  I know from experience that these things will work and I also know that these things won’t tell you everything that you need to know about the family this is why it is important to keep an open line of communication with the families, ensuring that they feel welcomed and not judged.



2 comments:

  1. Great post,

    The family survey was a good touch that I never thought about. I believe that this could be beneficial on both sides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think learning to great the family in their language is a great step. This was also one that I chose. I think that when you are able to show the family you care and try to make them feel as comfortable as possible it will open up the possibilities of you to start a trusting relationship with the parents.

    ReplyDelete