Friday, May 10, 2013

Childbirth In Your Life and Around the World


The first child birth I took a part in was when my sister gave birth to my niece Alaysia. I was so excited about her arrival that my sister allowed me to be in the delivery room when she gave birth. It was the scariest but most beautiful thing that I had ever witnessed. When my sister got to the hospital she had already dilated 6cms. She acted like she was on a routine visit and didn't ask for any medication. She ate well during her pregnancy and she exercised a lot and in return had a 6lb. 5oz. baby girl. This little girl became the apple of my eye; however I love all my nieces and nephews just the same. When Alaysia was born both me and my sister were still living at home and I was able to see her grow from an infant to a toddler and all the changes that her little body made as she developed. I think that childbirth is a beautiful thing and whomever experiences it should consider it a blessing. The topic of childbirth and prenatal development is a bittersweet topic for me because my husband and I have been trying for 10 years with no luck but I'm staying faithful that it will happen one day.

There are options for expectant mothers in China. They can choose a western-style hospital or a Chinese hospital. The hospitals that are located in major cities in China are available to anyone who chooses to go there, however they are much more expensive and don't offer what most traditional hospitals offer. In China they stay in the hospitals far longer than mother's who have given birth in the US. The average time that a mother stays in the hospital in the United States is two to five days; however, expectant mothers in China should expect to be hospitalized weeks prior to giving birth and weeks after. Unlike hospitals in the United States mothers to be who go to hospitals located in China are not provided with the same necessities such as pain killers. They have to bring pain medication in with them. Mothers in China are entitled to 90 days of leave after giving birth and up to 10 weeks prior to having their child which is much longer than what is given in the United States.

When comparing the United States to China both provide personal affects for families although in different ways. A mother in the US goes into the hospital and a lot of amenities are provide such as pain medication and sheets to sleep on where as mothers who arrive in hospitals in cities in China have to bring those types of things in with them.

Birth experiences vary from country to country but the overall goal it to deliver healthy, well developed children.

Reference

Giving Birth-http://china.angloinfo.com/healthcare/pregnancy-birth/giving-birth/

4 comments:

  1. Hi I enjoyed reading your experience with your niece birth. It is so easy to get attached and bond with a child that lives with you. Watching her grow from an infant to a toddler is a great feeling because they change so much and grow very rapidly. One day God will let you have that experience for yourself. It took my sister 15 years to have her first child and she thought she will never have another baby and 4 months later she got pregnant again with two twin girls. After so many years of waiting for a baby she got 3 girls within 2 years. Her girls are now 5 and the twins are 4. Best Wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Latarsha,
    Childbirth is such a wondrous event in our lives. Being a part of a child's beginning and future are special blessings. I have two grandchildren and being a part of there lives has been a new experience, one that has no comparison.
    God is in the business of performing miracles, keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Latarsha,

    I really enjoyed hearing about birth in China. It seems that there are negative and positive aspects of birth in China as compared to the United States. What happens with the siblings when the mother is in the hospital so long before birth?

    Your reaction to your niece reminds me of the reaction of my daughter's next youngest sibling when she found out the mother was pregnant. We were all there together, but the younger sister got to read a note first. The note was disguised as part of a gift or something. The younger sibling suddenly shouted and danced around. I thought she had won the lottery until I found out why she was so excited.

    I will be praying for you. Is adoption an option for you?

    Liz Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello again Latarsha,

    I enjoyed reading your post. I always wondered why it seemed as though as fast as you have the baby, then you are being put of the hospital. No time to rest! However, I know now that it has a lot to do with the insurance companies and there policies as well regarding hospital stays. It was interesting to read about how long expectant mothers in China get to stay in the hospital. But, when I read about how they don't have some of the luxuries of the U.S. like meds when needed and that they had to bring in their medication. It all made sense! I could not imagine being in labor for as long as I was with my first child with no medication. Eek!

    ReplyDelete