Saturday, April 20, 2013

Examining Code of Ethics

DEC Code of Ethics

II.  Professional Development and Preparation
1.  We shall engage in ongoing and systematic reflective inquiry and self-assessment for the purpose of     continuous improvement of professional performance and services to young children with disabilities and their families.
Being able to self reflect and know what trainings I need to be a better professional is important to me.  Staying current with new developments, attending necessary trainings and learning is important to me and can help me grow as a professional.  Being stagnant with what I know as of today isn't going to help me but continuing to add to my knowledge base as it relates to my profession can only benefit my professional performance and the services I provide to children and families.

NAEYC Code of Ethics

1-1.9-To advocate for and ensure that all children including those with special needs, have access to the support services needed to be successful.
This is the main reason why I chose this profession, because I want to see children become successful.  A lot of times I have seen children who don't have a support system and have seen where even parents aren't involved in their child's education and to be a child's advocate, to be their voice because they don't have a voice of their own yet is important to me. 

I-2.2-To develop relationships of mutual trust and create partnerships with the families we serve.
Parents need to trust me in order to seek my help, so I try to get parents to understand what my job is and to build a level of trust with them.  Sometimes parents don't understand what's going on and I have found in my personal practices that if their is a foundation that has been set that parent's are more apt to come to you and ask you for their help or when you offer them your help they are more apt to receive it.  I have also come to understand that when children see that their parents trust you it's easier to build a trusting relationship with the child.  Trust is a biggie in this field and without it I don't feel that I could be successful with in I do.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Latarsha,

    Being a director, it is important for the famiies to feel they can trust and have a sense of respect for you as the leader of the center. After all, they must come to you when they have issues with the teacher or other parents in the center. An open door policy is one of the best ways to ensure parents feel comfortable to talk anytime about anything.

    Joyce Galloway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your post I agree with you parents and teachers have to work together for the kid. They need their parents more than anything to understand them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Latarsha,
    It is our responsibility to speak for the children, all children have the right to have a proper education, even the ones who don't have a support system. It isn't fair that some children have an education and others can't. so as professionals, we should all take part in advocating for the children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Latarsha,
    You are right when you mention that we need to build trust between the parents and ourselves so we can work better with the children.It is very important that we know what majo9r events are happening in the lives of our children so that we can provide additional resources.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Latarsha,
    I want to thank you for sharing very interesting resources and knowledge on your blog; I have really benefited from your experience. I wish you the best in the next course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Latarsha,

    Thank you for sharing your insights and experience with us on your blog. Your passion for children, families, and the field of early childhood shines through in all of your posts. It has been great getting to know you through this course and I hope that you continue to have such passion for this field and that you succeed in all you attempt!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Latarsha,




    It has been a wonderful journey learning from you in this course. You have so much to share and it is good to know that we have Head Start in common. It is a totally different world from public school and I had a hard time making the transition. I am getting to the point were I can cope with all of the paper work and handling the classroom load. I truly appreciate all that the directors have to do because I was once in those shoes and I hope to be the owner of my own learning center in the next 3 years. I pray everything works out for you and your growth will lead you into many extraordinary adventures in the field of early childhood. I truly want us to stay in touch with each other and maybe we can meet at graduation. Take care and God bless you richly.




    Joyce Galloway

    ReplyDelete
  8. Latarsha,
    Thank you for reading and commenting on my posts. Your experience and knowledge of early child education provides deeper insight into our discussions. I wish you the best in your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Latarsha
    Thank you for all that you have done. I have really enjoyed taking this class with you. I have learned so much through your discussions post and blogs. Continue to stay focused.

    ReplyDelete