Friday, July 26, 2013

"My Connections to Play"



Quotes that represent play in my childhood
“You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.”
― Plato

“Genius is play, and man's capacity for achieving genius is infinite, and many may achieve genius only through play.”  ― William Saroyan


Essential Play Items for my younger self





People Who Supported Play/The Role of Play in my Childhood

Growing up as a child I really didn’t do a lot of playing.  Just like many parents, my parents use to tell me all the time as a child to go outside and play.  To me I thought that was a punishment because all I wanted to do is get my doll babies and play school growing up.  I have always loved to read and I would get my dolls, sit them all upright and read them a story, or I would get my Etch & Sketch and pretend it was my chalkboard and try and teach them how to do math problems.  The most memorable times of play for me was play that wasn’t forced.  When I use to visit my grandparents on the weekends I use to love to play outside with my grandfather.  When we were around he acted like a big kid with us, playing softball, 1, 2, 3, Red Light, Hide and go seek, kickball and many more.  This made playing fun and it also allowed me to get the exercise that I needed because when at home all I ever wanted to do was play school or house. 

Play today versus the past

In my opinion play is totally different in 2013 versus 30 years ago.  When I was growing up children ran, jumped and played all day long or until they were called in the house and then they still wanted to play.  However today I don’t think that children are playing enough.  They still play the same games today but are more interested in video games and television.  Because of this, children aren’t utilizing their muscles and they aren’t getting the exercise that they need.  I feel that play is a vital role in a child’s development and that parents should cut the televisions off, take the video games away and encourage their children to go outside and play so that they can exercise their muscles so that they can develop physically.

My thoughts regarding play

As a child I didn’t know the importance of play, as I have grown and learned play is a vital role in a child’s development.  Although I would much rather have played with my dolls as a child, I still was able to go outside and interact with my siblings and cousins, especially on the weekends with my grandfather.  I think that it’s important that play is continuously enforced because stimulated play is part of children’s healthy development and can help with the prevention of childhood obesity. 

5 comments:

  1. You got me thinking. How as teachers can we encourage children to play more that already have per-exsiting health issues? Kids that have allergies or asthma around grass and such. How can we create a those opportunities for outdoor play?
    I think its great that you had your teaching moments with the etch-a-sketch and your dolls, very imaginative play. I should have played with you when I was younger, math is not my strong suit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Etch-a-sketch would have been a nice exploratory equipment for my dress designs as a young girl.But thinking right now, maybe not for me.
    It would be ideal if parents become proactively involved in their children's growth and be aware of the health risks these electronic devices bring.That will bring the number of obese kids and other illnesses.
    Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Latarsha,

    Our experiences were different as a child. My parents were the type to tell me that I couldn't go out and play until all my work was done. "Can I go outside and play" use to be the line that I used everyday. Then if I thought they would say "no" I would tell my friends to come over and ask if I can come out.

    Awesome pick on the Cabbage Patch Kid...wow that is a blast from the past!!! I had a few of them and loved them dearly:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents to always made me go outside of course after my work was done, but it was important to my parents that I went outside and got some sunshine;they believed that it was going to help me grow. Your experiences with the Etch-a-sketch reminds me of myself except I use to have a child board that I would use to teach all my baby dolls, and plastic people. Whoever would have thought I would have become a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely forgot about my etch-a-sketch! I don't think todays children would appreciate that as much as I did! I am in complete agreement with you regarding children spending too much time playing video games and not enough time actually playing!

    ReplyDelete